5-minute guide to coming to RFLAN:
1) Go to http://events.rflan.org/events and select the event you want to attend
2) Press 'Buy a Ticket' and login or create an account, then pay for your ticket
3) If you are bringing a team, follow the instructions at Group Bookings
4) Turn up to the venue on the day with your computer and gaming spirit!
Entry is subject to Red Flag LAN Fest Incorporated Official Terms and Conditions, displayed here
What is RFLAN?
RFLAN is a network computer gaming event, held multiple times a year in Perth, Western Australia, organised and run by Red Flag LAN Fest Incorporated. RFLAN brings together gamers of all ages and levels over two action packed days every few months, giving them the opportunity to prove themselves in many competitions and socialise with other like-minded people (otherwise known as 'Lanners').
From an attendee's point of view, computers are set up on tables and connected together with network cables. Tournaments comprised of many attendees are then run, with prizes for the winners. Essentials such as power, network, tables and chairs are supplied, with food and drinks available for purchase throughout the event. Attendees are able to stay overnight in the venue, either sleeping or staying awake, then pack up and leave the next day.
Where are RFLAN events held?
1) Exit Kwinana Freeway onto Manning Road heading east
2) At Kent Street lights turn left (there's KFC on the corner)
3) Turn into Curtin at the second right, opposite the golf course
4) Turn right into the carpark
1) Exit Kwinana Freeway onto Canning Highway and turn right, heading east
2) Turn right again and re-enter Kwinana Freeway heading south, then exit onto Manning Road
3) At Kent Street lights turn left (there's KFC on the corner)
4) Turn into Curtin at the second right, opposite the golf course
5) Turn right into the carpark
Just a 5 minute walk South at Waterford Plaza on the corner of Kent St and Manning Road is:
|House of Pasta||Coles|
|Ice Bubble||Sara Thai|
Down the road in the other direction about 5 mins drive away at The Park Center Shopping Center is:
And just a bit further on Canning Hwy and Burwick St (still about 5 mins by car):
Red Rooster (bit further down canning hwy)
The venue is only about 5-10Mins away from Westfield Carousel as well.
Cannington Agricultural Halls, Cnr Station St and Albany Hwy Cannington
Brown Park Recreation Centre, Salisbury Road Swan View
Cracovia Club, Marshall Road Beechboro
Does RFLAN supply the computer or do I bring my own?
RFLAN is a bring your own (BYO) computer event. This means that computers are not generally supplied for attendees.
Who can come to a RFLAN event?
RFLAN is an all-ages event. Parents are encouraged to contact us if they have any queries.
The venue is wheel chair accessible and has allocated disabled parking spaces.
How long does the event run?
A typical RFLAN event runs for approximately twenty four to thirty six hours over a two day weekend.
What should I bring to an event?
- Desktop or notebook computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and its power cords
- Basic 4-outlet Power board
- 5 to 10 metre network cable
- Headphones. (No speakers.)
- Driver and software cds, game install cds, spare keyboard/mouse/power cables.
- (Optional) Chair, pillows, sleeping gear
What can't I bring to the event?
In the interests of everyone's safety, goods that are prohibited from our events include but are not limited to:
- White goods (bar fridges, freezers, kettles, microwaves, large eskies, large cooler bags, etc)
- Cooler bags or eskies should be able to fit under your chair, and must not contain ice or unsealed liquids that could leak
- Speakers, large lights or other potentially irritating devices
- Alcohol, drugs, firearms or weapons (real or real-looking replicas that could cause concern)
- More than one computer, including additional laptops, network switches, NAS devices and servers
- UPS systems, large desk fans, multiple storage devices or any device that may draw higher than average power usage
- Multiple large monitors (Dual 21" or larger) or large TV-size monitors (30"+), as these do not fit within the allocated 80cm desk space
- Large quantities of food or drinks. Quantities of caffeinated drinks that may be considered dangerous levels are not permitted
If you are unsure whether your items are included in this list, please contact us prior to the event
What doesn't my entry fee entitle me to?
Behaviour considered by the organisers to be disruptive to other players.
Material which could be classified as 18+ must NOT be displayed on your monitor at any time.
What does my entry fee entitle me to?
- 1 Seat,
- 0.8 meter wide area of desk space,
- 1 network port
- 1 power point
- Entry into all tournaments unless specifically advertised
Can I prepay?
Yes. See the event details for more information. A ticket purchase is now required for all RFLAN events.
Signups are full. Can I still come?
We only guarantee a seat to those who pre-purchase a ticket. Door tickets may be available at some events dependant on sold tickets.
What do I need to do to prepare my computer for a RFLAN event?
- Ensure that your computer is running with the latest security, game and driver updates
- A full scan from an up-to-date virus and malware scanner
- Labelling your equipment to prevent mixing it up with others
- If you have Steam installed, make sure you update all of your games before entering
How many computers can I bring?
Each ticket is allocated enough room and enough power for a single computer only. Should you need another computer for something, please contact us.
Can I bring my own game server?
No. Only RFLAN servers are to be used. Any 3rd party servers should be run on the one computer paid for by your ticket.
Additional computers for server use are not allowed, unless prior arrangement is made with staff.
Can I bring alcohol?
NO. We are an all ages event, and as such do not allow the consumption of alcohol at our events. We also reserve the right to eject those under the effects of alcohol, who can cause security problems.
Can I smoke?
NO. Smoking is banned on Curtin University grounds.
Can I bring two monitors?
Two small monitors, that would fit on the 0.8m (80cm) desk space allocated, are allowed. Generally nothing larger than two 19" LCD's will fit.
Can I bring a large screen monitor/TV?
You must be able to fit all your equipment within the allocated desk space of 80cm wide. Therefore the size limit for screens is 30".
Can I bring speakers?
No. Attendees are required to bring headphones for listening to their computer's sound.
How long should my network cable be?
We recommend a 5 metre Cat5e or Cat6 network cable. A 10 metre cable is the longest recommended length, and a 2 metre cable may not reach from your allocated seat to the network switch.
Can a friend and I share computers?
For security reasons, spectators are generally not allowed to play on people's computer. Exceptions can be made for family members or other circumstances. Please see an admin at the event for more information.
Do I have to wear my wristband?
Yes. Wristbands are our means of identifying people at an event. It is important that you put on your wristband as soon as you receive it so it is clearly visible to passing admins.
Can I sleep at RFLAN?
There is enough room in the venue for people to sleep on the floor. The venue is secured at night. We recommend a sleeping bag and pillow.
What food is available at a LAN?
We have a range of ice cold soft drinks and snacks available at our kiosk. Onsite catering is supplied by Mothers Foods, who supply a range of hot food. EFTPOS is available at most events.
Can I bring extra food or drink to sell?
No. However, if you are interested in running some kind of food or drink business at our events, please use the contact form on our website to arrange something with us.
Can I bring my own food and drink?
Yes. It should be noted however, that we do not provide facilities for cooking or storing food. Ice inside cooler bags or eskies should not be used due to risk of leakage.
What competitions are run?
A competition timetable is published on the official website, detailing the time and format of each competition.
Are there prizes? How do I win them?
Redflag's valuable sponsors often donate prizes to give away at the event. You can win them by entering the competitions/tournaments that are available. For more information see the forums.
How do I join tournaments at the event?
To register for tournaments at our events, use the internal webpage (www.rflan.org). From this website, you can log in with your account and join competitions.
What is a novelty comp?
Novelty competitions are typically ways we get you to get out of your seat and embarrass yourself in front of everyone else in exchange for a prize. These occur throughout the LAN and are announced before they run.
Do I have to be at the event to enter a tournament? What if most of my team is at the event?
To keep the event fair to attendees who pay for a ticket, all tournaments are open only to those who are physically at the event. An intranet system is used to record internal addresses of each account that registers for the tournament, and are matched up against online accounts in the case of attempted external substituting or online team members. Any suspicion of outside influence may be reason for disqualification of a team or player from the event.